Did you know that:
1. Palau is often referred to as Belau.
2. In the Pacific Ocean, Palau is a part of the Caroline Island chain. In 1500, European explorers first discovered the Caroline Islands.
3. In 1783, Palau was accidentally discovered by the shipwrecked crew of Captain Henry Wilson when he reached the shores of Ulong.
4. In the Republic of Palau, the highest point is Mount Ngerchelchuus (242m).
5. Palau’s currency is the U.S. dollar.
6. The languages spoken are English, Japanese, Palauan and 3 other local languages.
7. Palauan women, like their male counterparts, traditionally used to go topless in the past. They used only a two-piece skirt and a few garlands as costumes. Today, some local women still continue their traditional dressing, although more covered and conservative styles of modern clothing have found their way into their culture, especially with the heavy influx of tourists.