Did you know that:
1. The country was named "Nigeria" after the River Niger.
2. Niger River is Africa's third largest river.
3. English is the main language of Nigeria. Apart from that, 300(!) languages are spoken in the country.
4. Apart from being a regional power, Nigeria is also listed amongst the "Next Eleven" economies.
5. Nigeria has one of the fastest growing economies in the world, with the International Monetary Fund projecting a growth of 9% in 2008 and 8.3% in 2009.
6. Archaeological evidence shows that human existence in Nigeria has a history which starts from 9000 BC. The Nok civilization (around 500 BC-200 AD) is the earliest known civilization here.
7. Portuguese were the first Europeans to reach Nigeria (1472).
8. Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and the eighth most populous country in the world.
9. Oil was discovered in Nigeria in 1956, at Oloibiri (Bayelsa State).